The Mortal Instrements

Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Top 10 Book Confessions: Books that Effected Me

On Facebook, my friend Laura Hayden-Plowman, has this page [totally cool, if not the coolest] titled YA indie princess. It's mostly about genres we both love: fiction mainly, including YA adult and Gothic fiction and lots of romance and giggles!


So she posted about every blog user to try and make a list of confessions about books we love, hate, what we did with these books and so on. Here's mine. A list of books I loved, books that stayed with me, though when I started this, I had so many books in the list but I had to cut as much as possible. 

I wanted to add books like Falling Under, Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Anne of Green Gables and Little Women, and more and more! But in the end I had to put new books or books that effected me in a funny or strange way.

I. Burgers and Fashion
II. Food, magic and gardens
III. Grief, poetry and Heathcliff
IV. France, Romance and Macaroons
V. Shadowhunters, angels and Jace
VI. Book stalker, cover obsessed and dreaming
VII. Death, life, soulmates and boarding schools
VIII. Family, love and gypsies
IX. The first book I read alone
X. The book that stated the frenzy and my obsession with Edward Cullen.



Book I: All American Girl by Meg Cabot

I read this book when I was 17, and Sam made lists, usually 10 points about everything in her life. I loved this book so much back then, that I started making list in my journal for a while, and I got obsessed with burgers!


You see Sam hated everything else, but loved burgers. She loved to draw on everything as well even her boots and helmet, and she was funky and very brave. I idolized her.


Even though I didn't agree with her crushing on her sister's boyfriend when she had the president's son crushing over her. I mean David was adorable.

Afterward I read so many Meg Cabot books [though I started with her Princess Diaries series at 14 but I couldn't find them to add them in the photo] my top favorite series by her must be Queen of Babble trilogy. Fashion, France, England and New York, Love and friendship, it can't get better then this but it does, add a twist by the end of the second book and lots of humor and laughter.



Book II: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
I had Garden Spells for years; the first time I saw it I knew I would like it, but the time never seemed right to start reading it until I got horribly sick and I couldn't take reading about dead attractive guys! I needed to read about people who were alive.

I loved every word I read. It is simply one of the best books I ever read. This book is a must read for people who love food, magic, family and in need of hope. This book feels as if I bought it as a gift to myself. I just loved it.

In some ways the book reminds me a lot of the movie "Practical Magic", two sisters who have magical blood running through their veins, one stays home, with a garden and acknowledge of the secrets of gardening and plants, the other is always running away trying to find love and normality but never finding them, until a guy hurts her and she needs to feel family and safety again, so she runs back home to her sister.

I wished the book was even longer!! I wish there would be a sequel!!


This book made me obsessed with gardening, flowers and food. I kept talking about it for months afterward, my mother told me she had enough of this book without reading it. But she said some stuff stuck in her head.

I even tried to find somethings around to make something like Claire's. Some parts even made me cry. Especially when Sydney talks about her past and remembers her memories. Even Claire's memories with her mother were horrible.

In any case, this book made Sarah Addison Allen on my list of Favorite Authors!! I read all four of her books and I fell in love with each and every one of them. I can't wait for more from her.


God! Now I feel like I NEED to re-read this book NOW! I might have to! Or I'll start talking about it to mother again.



Book III: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
This book is pure poetry. I am so happy I bought it. It might talk about something I hate above all else -grief- but reading it made me happy and dreamy. This book is beautiful beautiful beautiful!!! It takes grief into a new level!! Poetic!


First of all, my copy is so beautiful, it was the reason I bought the book, and the graphic designer is so smart, he captured the spirit of the book and Lennie.

Second of all, I really like Joe, He is so Heathcliff-ish!!!! Without the brooding. 


I love the description of the house, the paintings her grandma makes about her mother. I love her garden, the relationships between all of them even though I wanted Toby out of the book.

I get that grief makes people act funny. But I still didn't want Lennie to like Toby at all. I loved all the walk-reading in the forest, the bedroom in the forest, all the papers, cups and things Lennie wrote on, scattering her grief to all the world to see, if they cared. But Joe cared that was the most important thing.

I can't wait to read more books by Jandy Nelson.


Book IV: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Miss Perkins is definitely one of my new favorite authors so she should be on this list!

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!! I had it for a while, but I was reading so many books at the same time to try and read it, suddenly while arranging some books, I see it again and I think: "I need to read something funny and cute." This was even more!

The sitting is enough to enter my heart "Paris" my dream city! The City of art, food, passion and fashion!

Anna Oliphant "Banana Elephant" was a great character but Etienne St. Clair is my new obsession! He is so HOT!

The whole description of their growing feelings and tension, the other characters [are simply amazing and easy to relate to and love], the yummy food, the movies, the cool Boarding school and even a clubbing scene and a cat fight is all in there to make this great book, that will make you warm and happy like a mug of rich hot chocolate and laugh.

I'm so in LOVE with this author, I just finished "Lola and the Boy Next Door" and it became a favorite as well. But I got to admit not as much as Anna and Etienne's story.


After reading this book I had to buy macaroons. No joke! I went to this French restaurant and bakery and got mini 10 macaroons, colorful and very delicious! I NEED to visit Paris soon!


Book V: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
3 or 4 years has passed since I discovered Cassandra Clare, and I'm still in love with her, she's one of the best authors I read for.  Her books, characters, action and romance. It all started with City of Bones, the attractive cover blew me away! And after two days, I ran back to the store and got book 2 and 3 and each year from that point I buy her books and enjoy them.


Whatever I'm reading has to stop when I get a book by her. I have the hugest crushes on Jace Wayland and Will Herondale!


I have so many favorite quotes it would be hard to list here. When I thought Jace and Clary were brother and sister I was devastated! I wanted them to be together even if they were and that made me feel bad [it's just wrong]. But by the end it all worked out and got screwed up again in book 4! Hope book five fixes things up!


As for Will and Tessa, their story is like their favorite book A Tale of Two Cities. Now the woman he loves will be married to his friend and their love will feel like a curse!


I can't wait for book 3!



Book VI: The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepen
Fictional character eighteen-year-old Alexander Banks stalks vampires until incredulously he leaps through a portal into real life where he finds love and friends who want to help, if they can.

If you love books and love to talk about them and obsess about the hot heroes in them, this is the book for you. But if you love vampire stories and vampire hunters than this book is a must! I started with this book an hour or so ago, and I can't let go though I have a headache! Amy reminds me of myself, how she loves a character in a book, how she prefers reading about a magical guy then meet real boys. If you ever read a book and liked it so much, and you started imagining the characters coming alive in your world, than you are like Amy too. Great book! 


This book was like what I imagine in my head when I love a character, reading it was so much fun. It made me happy.



Book VII: Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon
Now this book was a shock! While I was shopping at a bookstore I found one copy of it in Hardcover format, I got it, because the cover is gorgeous. I read the expert on the back cover and out of the blue I was in chapter 5!


The beginning gave me goosebumps! The whole wet-after-beach then finding her parents dead in a strange way in the woods hocked me!


I got to say I have a weakness toward boarding schools. I love stories that are set in boarding schools, like Evernight, Anna and the French Kiss, A Great and Terrible Beauty and so on.


But this book is so surprising, original and creepy. I just loved it! And it kept me wondering and thinking about death and life as we know it. 

Dante is amazing, the classes are amazing, they actually taught me a thing or two like Horticulture. Did I say how much I like Dante dead or not!? 

I can't believe it is the author's first book, she did a great job, the cover is great but what is inside is even better! The ending broke my heart!! It is so sad!! Bittersweet!


So I'm glad I now have book two "Life Eternal". Though I felt the ending was final, I wouldn't mind seeing what will happen next.


Oh and I loved her grandfather's house and her mother's closet!



Book VIII: Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas
I guess when I'm sick and trying to feel better I find the best books to read. And because I can do nothing but lay there, I read for hours.


Lisa is probably one of my favorite romance authors, she is the one who introduced me to Historical Romance.


This book lay there between my piles waiting to be read. I read it in a day, the next day I read book two, then book three. And I got stuck!


So I wore something warm and comfy and ran to the nearest bookshop with a running red nose and all, and got book 4 and 5.


I was so sad to see the Hathaways stories end. I wanted more of them, so I re-read the series more than 4 times.


I love the two gypsies brothers, the eccentric Hathaway family, the passion between the couples and everything.


I laughed out loud so many times, I coughed afterward though. But this series is sure on my list of great books.



Book IX: She by H. Rider Haggard
When I was about 8 or 9, while I was playing with some boys, my mom came to me holding 5 classical books.

She said: "I got 5 books for you to read." I was shocked! My mom always read my favorite fairy-tales for me, and I hated reading because I hated school. She continued: "I will give you two weeks, I already read them and I will ask you about them." [She never read them or needed to ask me about them afterward.]


She gave me:
1- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
2- Brother Grimm's Tales collection
3- She by H. Rider Haggard 


and I another two titles I totally forgot.


I picked "She" that night, and read, and read. I woke up different the next day. My mind was in Africa all day long. I returned home to my book and continued.

This was the first novel I've read as a young girl, I've read it over and over again so many times. 

Years passed and I ordered a new copy, mine was worn out.

Whenever I open this book and begin in Oxford and the broken Sherds of Amenarta, and see in my imagination She/Aysha for the first time, I feel like a young girl again, standing on the edge of a dark cafe waiting to bathe in fire -the spirit of life- and become immortal.


This book is the reason I LOVE fiction so much, is the reason I want to be a writer. And I believe that so many authors are effected by Haggard's charming world of adventure and sometimes I can see that in their books.


Book X: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
When seventeen-year-old Bella Swan leaves Phoenix to live with her father in Forks, Washington, she meets an exquisitely handsome boy at school for whom she feels an overwhelming attraction and who she comes to realize is not wholly human.

This series is beyond a doubt my favorite, though I read so many stories before it and after it.

I remember the first time I walked into a bookshop and I saw the attractive black/red/white cover of Twilight, it was winter, 2008. I read the back cover: 

"About 3 things I was absolutely positive.
First, Edward was a vampire.
Second, there was a part of him -and I didn't know how potent that part might be- that thirsted for my blood.
And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."

That was all it took, I bought the book and finished it in the same day, I hurried to the bookstore before it closed to get New Moon, which I too, finished in one day, I went back and got Eclipse and looked for Breaking Dawn until I found it in Hardcover form, this I spent a week reading, I didn't want to finish it when I knew there weren't any new books to follow.

Afterward I was in a Twilight trance, I couldn't stop thinking about the story or not fantasizes about Edward coming through my window.

I know so many people dislike Bella, but I got to say I'm one of the few that absolutely love her. Her delicacy and silent stubbornness and how much she loved one guy is so beautiful, she made me want to read the classics once again and cook healthy food.

When people criticize her, I think it's strange, she was one of the strongest factors for me to love the series, Edward and even Jacob.

But I think I like when a girl needs a boy, I don't think it's a weakness but it's love. Love makes us need the person we feel so strongly about.

This book started my Gothic era frenzy. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG Dana!! I love these books too!!

    Arra
    theprincessonthebrink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. (*^_^*) Yay!! I'm happy you do!!

    ReplyDelete