The Mortal Instrements

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Crazy/Beautiful [2001]

What matters most is what lingers... Lingering moments...

Carlos: You're crazy...
Nicole: ...and you're beautiful.
Kirsten Dunst is a great actress, I LOVE most of her movies if not all, she shows raw emotions so easily, I always wonder why she doesn't have more parts and why hasn't she been nominated yet. I think she deserves better, in Mona Lisa Smile, I cried when she was trying to tell Giselle that she is hurt and jealous:

[Giselle has been secretly seeing a married psychologist]
Betty Warren: Does he pay you for sex? I mean, at the rate you're going, you could make a fortune.
Joan Brandwyn: Betty!
Betty Warren: Everyone thinks so. Do you know what they say? They say you're a whore. And pretty soon, once they've all sampled you, they'll toss you aside like a used rag.
Joan Brandwyn: Betty, stop! Now!
Betty Warren: The men you love don't even want you! Your father doesn't want you!
Giselle Levy: [to Connie] I'm gonna meet you downstairs.
Betty Warren: Professor Dunbar?
Connie Baker: Betty, that's enough!
Betty Warren: Everyone knows that you hide outside his house! It must be torturous running after a man who doesn't even care about you. Who's in love with someone else. Who hates you!
Giselle Levy: Betty...
Betty Warren: He *hates* you!
[Giselle pulls Betty into a hug]
Betty Warren: Get off of me!
[Betty struggles, but gives in a sobs on Giselle's shoulder]
Betty Warren: [about her husband] It hurts! He doesn't want me!
Giselle Levy: [sympathetically] I know... 







"You can be anywhere when your life begins. When the future opens up in front of you. And you may not even realize it at first, but it's already happening."

Crazy/Beautiful must be one of my TOP favorite movies of all time. It reminds me of being 17 as well, I was not as troubled as Nicole but I was a teenager, I was, still am, creative and need to be loved and to love with no limits, I still need to outlet what I feel to the whole world, with words, photos and art.

One of the things I always like is Nicole's room, though it's not stylish or glamorous and besides her photos, bags and clothes scattered everywhere it would be empty, but it has a feeling to it, it feel like her.





You even see the room grow with Nicole's feelings, first it was empty and silent, later you see the made-up-curtains and colors of love, then emptiness again. With every feeling the room shifts a bit.


I watched the movie yesterday and as always there are some parts that make me cry, make me feel 17 again.

Like the part after the police returns Nicole and Carlos to Nicole's father and she's wasted and broken, her words are imprinted in my mind:

"Why do you hate me so much? How could you tell the only person in the world that I love, that I care about so much, how could you tell him to stay away from me? Do you think that the only thing I'll ever do to someone is screw them up? That I'm not worth loving?"
I love her fun times with her BFF Maddy, especially when she starts falling for Carlos and she tells her: "Ohmygod you are so obvious!" I love when the go nuts after the game and how the painted their nails with colors. And even when her heart is broken and she runs to her and listens to her playing guitar. 

Carlos: Come to get me into trouble again?
Nicole: Nah. We're off duty. We're not troublemakers, we're innocent. Don't we look innocent together?

Nicole: We forgot to wear our blue.
Maddy: Shit. I forgot to wear anything.




I HATE her stop-mother, she always was happy that Nicole father doesn't love her as much as she hates her, I'm glad he tried to change by the end.
"Courtney Oakley: What kind of daughter are you?
Nicole: Not yours.
Courtney Oakley: Thank god for that. "

I love how the director ended the movie with Nicole saying she hasn't completely changed or lost her edge but she is more happy, complete and content with what she have.


"There are millions of people in this world, but in the end it all comes down to one. I still panic sometimes, forget to breathe, but I know that there's something beautiful in my imperfections; the beauty that he held up for me to see. The strength that I will never be able to say."
"Nicole: I want to be good for you.
Carlos: I want to take you away from everything that makes you crazy."
Plot:
Nicole Oakley is rich and out-of-control daughter of congressman Tom Oakley, she meets a working class Mexican-American straight-A student, Carlos Nuñez, on the beach when she was 17, he was in control, loves to plan and has goals and dreams, she was broken, unloved and in need of control. They meet at a beach while Nicole is on "community service" and discover they attend the same high school.



Nicole's troubles begin with her mother's suicide when she was 12, and then it began to get worst when he father ignored her and re-married and had a new life and child. 

She feels unwanted by her father, which makes her want to get his attention.


 "Nicole: I'm seventeen, I'm supposed to get out of control."
Carlos, on the other hand, is from a poor background and working hard towards becoming a Navy pilot.
Carlos spends so much time with her that he stops performing well in school. Carlos is applying to the U.S. Naval Academy and Nicole's father suggests Carlos talk to him about gaining his Congressional sponsorship to the Academy. 

During their meeting, Nicole's father tells Carlos that he needs to break up with Nicole if he does not want her to destroy his life. Carlos does break up with her, which leads Nicole into depression and back into wild, drunken partying. 

One night, Carlos really misses her and when he calls her, he finds out she is getting drunk at a high school party. He crashes it and saves a drunken Nicole from a boy trying to take advantage of her. Carlos drives her home, but they get stopped by the police.





As a result of this incident, Nicole's father and stepmother decide that she needs to go to a boarding school far away from home; Carlos rescues her and they run away together. 



While they are away, Nicole realizes she is really messing up Carlos's life by taking him away from his dreams and goals, so she decides to sober up. 


Nicole: My shrine for Carlos.
[I tried making a photo like that, it worked, but it stayed wet for a very, very long time!]


Nicole: My suicide notes, very creative.

They go back home and she makes up with her father. Her father thanks Carlos for not listening to his advice to stay away from Nicole. 

In the end credits, we see that Carlos has become a pilot with the Navy.





Soundtrack

  1.     "Ten Le Fe" - Mellow Man Ace
  2.     "Who am I?" - Lily Frost
  3.     "To Be Free" - Emiliana Torrini
  4.     "Wait" - Seven Mary Three
  5.     "Every Time" - La Ley
  6.     "La Reina Del Lugar" - Serralde
  7.     "Shattered" - Remy Zero
  8.     "Boulevard Star" - Delinquent Habits (featuring Michelle)
  9.     "This is Not My Life" - Fastball
  10.     "Sumpin'" - The Pimps
  11.     "Alright" - Osker
  12.     "Sleep" - The Dandy Warhols
  13.     "She Gave Me Love" - The Getaway People
  14.     "I Want to Believe You" - Lori Carson & Paul Haslinger
  15.     "Perfect" - Maren Ord
  16.     "Siempre" - La Ley
  17.     "This Year's Love" - David Gray


Chapters:
  1. Opening Titles/Pacific High
  2. Detention
  3. Football Game
  4. "Thanks For The Ride"
  5. Nicole's Dad
  6. Pilot Nuñez
  7. Falling In Love
  8. Remember Us?
  9. Quinceañera
  10. "Stay Away From My Daughter"
  11. Not Worth Loving
  12. "I Want To Be With You"
  13. New Beginnings
  14. End Credits


    Scraps from Credits:



Movie's Posters:




No comments:

Post a Comment