Anna can't wait for her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a good job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's not too thrilled when her father unexpectedly ships her off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair, the perfect boy. The only problem? He's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her crush back home. Will a year of romantic near-misses end in the French kiss Anna awaits?
Book DescriptionAnna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
Book Description [My Copy]Anna was looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris---until she meets Etienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Etienne has it all... including a serious girlfriend.
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French Kiss?
Stephanie Perkins keeps the romantic tension crackling and the attraction high in a debut guaranteed to make toes tingle and hearts melt.
My Shelfari Review: ★★★★★
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!! I had it for a while, but I was reading so many books at the same time to try and read it, suddenly while arranging some books, I see it again and I think: "I need to read something funny and cute." This was even more!
The sitting is enough to enter my heart "Paris" my dream city! The City of art, food, passion and fashion!
Anna Oliphant "Banana Elephant" was a great character but Etienne St. Clair is my new obsession! He is so HOT!
The whole description of their growing feelings and tension, the other characters [are simply amazing and easy to relate to and love], the yummy food, the movies, the cool Boarding school and even a clubbing scene and a cat fight is all in there to make this great book, that will make you warm and happy like a mug of rich hot chocolate and laugh.
I'm so in LOVE with this author, I need to get her next book "Lola and the Boy Next Door" soon!
I think Kate and her revenants from Die for Me by Amy Plum should meet with Anna and Etienne, I got to say Etienne wins every time!
Places in the book
Point zéro des routes de France
Notre Dame de Paris [Our Lady of Paris]
|the Galerie des Chimères|
|James Douglas "Jim" Morrison|
In 2004 a fence was erected around the statue of Noir, to deter superstitious people from touching the statue. However, due to a fake protest of the "female population of Paris" led by French TV anchor Péri Cochin, it was torn down again.
This paragraph reminds me so much of my father:
"I don't have spending money like the rest of our classmates. It's pretty clear when I order the cheapest thing on the menu every time we eat out. Dad may have wanted to give me a fancy education, but he isn't concerned about my daily expenses. I've asked him twice for a raise in my weekly allowance, but he's refused, saying I need to learn to live within my means.Believe me this almost made me cry. Another thing like Anna is my love to cinema.
Which is difficult when he doesn't give me enough means to begin with."
"Cinema. Has there ever been a more beautiful word?"I LOVED when Etienne said: "There's no reason to suffer this flight alone when we can suffer it together."
Food in the book
|chocolate and raspberry cake|
|chocolate caramel eclairs|
|Chuck E. Cheese's|
|Girl Scout cookies|
- Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating.
- Peanut Butter Patties [Tagalongs]: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating.
- Lemonades [Lemon Chalet Cremes]: Shortbread cookie with lemon icing.
Words to watch out for:
- Callipygian: Having a shapely buttocks
- Meretricious: Showily attractive but cheap or insinsere
- Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
- Your Movie Sucks by Roger Ebert
- Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson
- Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
- The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
Famous Characters mentioned in the book:
- Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin (22 January [O.S. 10 January] 1869 – 29 December [O.S. 16 December] 1916)
- Napoleon Bonaparte (15 August 1769 – 5 May 1821)
- James Douglas "Jim" Morrison (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971)
- Pablo Neruda (July 12, 1904 – September 23, 1973)
- Roger Ebert (June 18, 1942)
- Sofia Carmina Coppola (born May 14, 1971)
- Pauline Kael (June 19, 1919 – September 3, 2001)
- Banana Yoshimoto (born July 24, 1964)
- Victor-Marie Hugo (26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
- François-Marie Arouet / Voltaire (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778)
- Alexandre Dumas (24 July 1802 – 5 December 1870)
- Émile François Zola (2 April 1840 – 29 September 1902)
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show 
- Rushmore 
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 
- It Happened One Night 
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 
- Sixteen Candles 
- A Hard Day's Night 
- Lost in Translation 
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 
- Roman Holiday 
And I loved the banners posters for these films:
There are several variants of this song:
Jingle Bells, Batman smells
Robin laid an egg.
The Batmobile lost a wheel
and the Joker got away (Hey!)
Other reported versions include:
Shotgun shells, Santa smells,
Rudolf ran away,
Oh what fun it is to ride
in a beat-up Chevrolet!
Jingle bells, shotgun shells,
Santa Claus is dead,
Rudolf got a .22
and shot him in the head.
Jingle Bells, Shotgun Shells,
BB’s in the air.
Oh, what fun it is to ride
in Santa’s underwear!”
Jingle Bells, Batman smells
Robin laid an egg,
The Batmobile lost a wheel,
and the Joker joined ballet , Hey!
or [Etienne's version]
Jingle Bells, Batman smells
Robin flew away
Batmobile lost a wheel
On the M1 motorway, Hey!