The Mortal Instrements

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater


The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, written by Maggie Stiefvater, contains the three books, Shiver (published 1 August 2009), Linger (published 13 July 2010) and Forever (published 12 July 2011). 

The books follow Grace Brisbane and Sam Roth. Shiver is written from both Grace and Sam's point of view. Linger is written from Grace, Sam, Isabel and Cole's view point. Forever is written from Grace, Sam, Isabel and Cole's point of view, with a small prologue from Shelby. 

The series is set in the fictional town Mercy Falls. Stiefvater has said that the real town of Ely in Minnesota would be the closest in destination to Mercy Falls.


Book I: Shiver (August 1, 2009)

Book Description

From a dazzlingly talented young writer, a haunting and original supernatural romance in the vein of TWILIGHT.

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Book Description (My copy)



the cold.
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf —her wolf— watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

the heat.
Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace... until now.

the shiver.
For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human —and Grace must fight to keep him— even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.



From Shiver
That night I lay in bed and stared at the window, my blinds pulled up so I could see the night sky. One thousand brilliant stars punched holes in my consciousness, pricking me with longing. I could stare at the stars for hours, their infinite depth pulling me into a part of myself that I ignored during the day. 

Outside, deep in the woods, I heard a long, keening wail, and then another, as the wolves began to howl. More voices pitched in, some low and mournful, others high and short, an eerie and beautiful chorus. I knew my wolf's howl; his rich tone sang out above the others as if begging me to hear it. 

My heart ached inside me, torn between wanting them to stop and wishing they would go on forever. I imagined myself there among them in the golden wood, watching their heads tilt back to the endless stars. I blinked a tear away, feeling foolish and miserable, but I didn't go to sleep until every wolf had fallen silent.

 
My Shelfari Review:
[3/Jan/2010] I like that the chapters are so short, but to tell you the truth I don't get the girl at all. I mean you could really be fascinated with something, but I never met a "person" who wanted to be an animal. So I am sorry but tell now (Chapter 11) I still don't get the story. and there is so empty spaces in the story line, the book seems somehow incomplete.

[13/Jan/2010] No. I feel nothing to the book. Sorry. I don't like it. I've reached chapter 19 page 99 and I can't understand why anyone liked the book... it is weakly written, empty of real feelings and facts. I know it is fiction, but even in fiction, emotions are all the same. The cover is really good though. and it is so like Twilight, the new-old car, the girl cooking, crazy mother, a guy sleeping in the bedroom without the parents knowing, the cold weather!

I am giving the book another go, I got the audiobook, and I am liking it better now.

I've reached chapter 44 and the book is growing on me, I got both the story and the girl now, I feel sorry for Grace, her parents suck, Sam is such a nice guy. I loved the parts in the candy shop and book store :) bittersweet.


Book II: Linger (July 13, 2010)

Book Description

The astonishing #1 New York Times bestseller.

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.


Book Description (My copy)


the longing.
Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.
Into their world comes a new wold named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being human.

the linger.
For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life is a constant struggle between two forces —wolf and human— with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing, and alarming.  As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?



From Linger
Mercy Falls, Minnesota looked different when you knew you'd be human for the rest of your life. Before it had been a place that only existed in the heat of summer, concrete sidewalks and leaves curved up toward the sun, everything smelling of warm asphalt and dissipating truck exhaust.

Now, as the spring branches shared seldom-seen firlls of tender pink- it was where I belonged. 

In the months since I'd lost my lupine skin, I'd tried to learn how to be a boy again. I'd gotten my old job back at the Crooked Shelf, surrounded by new workds and the sound of pages turning. I'd traded my inherited SUV, full of the scent of Beck and my life with the wolves, for a Volkswagen Golf just big enough for me and Grace and my guitar. I tried not to flinch when I felt the cold rush in through a suddenly open door. I tried to remember I was no longer alone. At night, Grace and I crept into her room and I folded myself against her body, breathing in the smell of my new life and matching my heartbeat to hers. 

If my chest caught when I heard the wolves' slow howls in the wind, at least I had the balm of this simple, ordinary life to console me. I could look forward to years of Christmases with this girl in my arms, the privilege of growing old in this unfamiliar skin of mine. I knew that. I had everything.


My Shelfari Review:
It is a cool book but it doesn't keep me interested or invest so much feeling in it. Somehow the series seem cold and distant. I love the covers though, and I will continue but I am not holding my breath. Cool book but not great. Cole and Isabel are a very good addition to the series, I like Isabel.

In my mind Isabel looks something like Adrianne Palicki.  


Book III: Forever (July 12, 2011)

Book Description

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

The thrilling conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy from Maggie Stievater.

Book Description (My copy)

then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.
now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment -a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.


From Forever 
SAM. Without Grace, I lived in a hundred moments other than the one I currently occupied. Every second was filled with someone else's music or a book I'd never read before or work or making bread — anything to fill my head. I played ceaselessly at normalcy, at the idea that it was just one more day without her and my family and that the next morning would be her walking through my door and life going on as it hadn't been interrupted. 

Without Grace, I was a perpetual motion machine, run by my own inability to sleep and my fear of letting my thoughts build up in my head. Every night was a photo copy of every day that came before it and every day was like the night that was like the day beofre. Again and again and again. 

Everything felt so wrong, the house full to the brim with Cole St. Clair and no one else; my memories edged with images of Grace in her own blood, shifting into a wolf; and over all of it, me, unchanging, my body out of reach of the seasons. I was waiting for a train that never pulled up at the station. But I couldn't stop waiting, because who would I be then? I was looking at my world in a mirror. 

Rilke said: This is what Fate means: to be opposite, to be opposite to everything and nothing else but opposite and always opposite. 

Without Grace, all I had of her were the songs about her voice and the songs about the echo left behind when she'd stopped speaking. 

And then she called.


My Shelfari Review:
I begin reading yesterday ‎[Sunday, ‎December ‎04, ‎2011] and now I'm almost half way through the book. It's going great. I have a feeling that the end will be sad.

I love Isabel and Cole even though she is cruel and he's crazy, hope they could be together. I like Grace though she is a bit cold like her mom said but Sam is so weak, I wish he could be stronger for them both. I like them as a couple but they are not my favorite.

I know that Sam is supposed to be 19 but for some reason, since the first time I read Shiver, I always imagine him played by Lee Pace. Sam seems so much older than 19, more 29 or something. Grace in my mind seems to look a lot like Tamara Hope, straight soft blond hair and innocent cold face, with petite body. AnnaLynne McCord is my Isabel and Cole is Aaron Johnson. 

I reached chapter 45 in Forever... I can't wait to see why everyone is disappointed by the ending. I love Cole and Isabel together. Even when they're not together. Sam and Grace are a bit boring and old-ish in the way they act. Though I LOVED the part where Sam bought Grace the summer dress, and when she wore it for him. Very romantic!!  

I just finished the book [Tuesday, ‎December ‎13, ‎2011] finally! And I don't get why people hated the ending! It was obviously a happy ending, they are all still kids, but they will end together, the ring in the end could mean either engagement or already married. Most importantly Cole didn't die! Thank God!

In my mind he and Isabel become those crazy couples living in the woods with a punch of wolves for pets, making experiments and saving lives. I think Isabel would become a doctor. But I'm not sure about Sam and Grace. Maybe Grace will fall in love with another guy or Sam could be a famous writer or singer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment