The Mortal Instrements

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Habibi by Craig Thompson [September 20, 2011]

September 20, 2011
From the internationally acclaimed author of Blankets (“A triumph for the genre.”Library Journal), a highly anticipated new graphic novel.

Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart; as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world (not unlike our own) fueled by fear, lust, and greed; and as they discover the extraordinary depth—and frailty—of their connection.

At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling.
My Review: [September 27, 2011]
I just got this book!! It's 672 pages of gorgeous beautiful Arabian art!!! Habibi حبيبي in Arabic means "My Love" or "My Beloved".

I was shopping for books on September 27, 2011. I was going to the cashier when I noticed a breath-taking looking book! I remember holding it close and saying "Wow" loudly, a customer beside me turned his head to look at "the-wow-book"!

I went home quickly wanting to be alone with this pretty Arabic/English book! I flipped it open and begin reading and I was instantly in love with Dodola and Zam's story. The description of the prophets' story was very accurate and beautiful to look at.

But because I read both Arabic and English was confused over some things going on. First, until the half of the book, I thought we were following a story in the old times, stories of harem and whatnot. But by the half we see there are cars and modern life technology! We see from the costumes, that are kind of Indian or Pakistani country, and yet they speak and talk and write Arabic and obviously are Muslims! The world he created is not contemporary to our world now.

Second, I didn't get the whole use of the magic boxes and why we see a ط on Dodola's back for slavery when ع is the first letter in Arabic for the word.

I'm an Arabian woman who lives in the Middle East and I never encountered anything like what I read. The world he created is not contemporary for me at least.

About men actually removing their manhood is so strange and unrealistic; I never met or knew a man who wanted their "equipment" removed.

All through the book, we see that Dodola tells Zam The Prophets stories as bedtime stories. We see that she tries to relate to them to stay strong, and to teach Zam something in their free time.

The book is beautifully breath-taking that takes the beautiful Arabian designs and stories like One Thousand and One Nights way of narrating a story to a whole new level of beautiful. 

My only complainant would be Prophet Noah's story. It was written in a foul language for a story about a prophet.


After some research, I think the meant city is India and the language is Urdu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urdu).

I was shocked to know that the author spent 8 years creating this book!! WOW!! I mean, wow, really, that's dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment