The Mortal Instrements

Monday, November 14, 2011

The Blydon Family Saga Series by Julia Quinn

Book I: Splendid

Book Description | Publication Date: April 1, 1995 | USA

American heiress Emma Dunster has always been fun-loving and independent with no wish to settle into marriage. She plans to enjoy her Season in London in more unconventional ways than husband-hunting. But this time Emma′s high-jinks lead her into dangerous temptation...
Alexander Ridgely, the Duke of Ashbourne, is a notorious rake who carefully avoids the risk of love...until he plants one reckless kiss on the sensuous lips of this high-spirited innocent...and condemns himself to delicious torment. Little does he know that his passion has touched the very soul of the lovely enchantress...and committed them both to a lifetime of splendid ecstasy.


Book Description | Publication Date: 3 July 2008 |UK

American heiress Emma Dunster has always been fun-loving and independent with no wish to settle into marriage. She plans to enjoy her Season in London in more unconventional ways than husband-hunting. But this time Emma′s high-jinks lead her into dangerous temptation...

Alexander Ridgely, the Duke of Ashbourne, is a notorious rake who carefully avoids the risk of love...until he plants one reckless kiss on the sensuous lips of this high-spirited innocent. Soon sparks- and laughter - fly when these two terribly determined people cross paths during one very splendid London spring season...


Emma Dunster and Alexander Ridgely

My Review:
 
Emma reminds me a little of Scarlett O'Hara, and Alex of Rhett Butler, they're one of my favorite characters and couples throughout history. There are of course a lot of differences, Emma has more moral part of her personality and Alex is more aggressive. But as for the story in hand, I liked it, a lot. I loved the scene when Emma pretends to be a maid and quote Shakespeare books title so Belle would know she is there to save her.

Book II: Dancing at Midnight

Book Description | Publication Date: November 1, 1995 | USA


Lady Arabella Blydon has beauty and a brain, and she's tired of men who can see only one without the other.

When a suitor tells Arabella he's willing to overlook her appalling bluestocking tendencies on account of her looks and fortune, she decides to take a break from the Marriage Mart. During an extended stay in the country, she never expects to meet Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero who intrigues her like no other man.

Lord John has lived through the worst horros of war...but nothing could have been as terrifying to his tormented heart as Lady Arabella. She is intoxicating, infuriating...and she makes him want to live again. Suddenly he's writing bad poetry and climbing trees in the pitch-dark night...just so he can dance with her as the clock strikes midnight. And even though he knows he can never be the sort of man she deserves, he can't help wanting her. But when the harsh light of day replaces the magic of midnight, can this tormented soul learn to love again?




Book Description | Publication Date: 3 July 2008 | UK

When a suitor tells Lady Arabella Blydon that he's willing to overlook her appalling bluestocking tendencies on account of her looks and fortune, she decides to take a break from the Marriage Mart. So during an extended stay in the country, she never expected to meet Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero who intrigues her like no other man.

Lord John has lived through the worst horrors of war, but nothing could have been as terrifying to his tormented heart as Lady Arabella. She is intoxicating, infuriating... and she makes him want to live again. Suddenly he's writing bad poetry and climbing trees in the pitch-dark night, just so he can dance with her. But when the harsh light of day replaces the magic of midnight, can this tormented soul learn to love again?


Arabella Blydon and John Blackwood
Kissing in starlight, basking in sunlight,
dancing at midnight.

My Review: ★★★★☆

I started reading an hour ago and I am in chapter 6, the book is so good and it is floating effortlessly, I felt so sad about Ana, and how that Spencer guy raped her, it's just horrible. I have a feeling that the anonymous massages are from Spencer. as for every love/kiss scene!! Oh it is amazing!! the way he wants her is just super hot!!

Two or three things made me drop a star, Number one is that Belle actually married without her parents present, which in the time wasn't heard of, Number two is no one talks and write to a person who wants to murder them, it is kind of silly. And 3rdly Belle was so pushy! I really wanted her to back off sometimes!

My Love has eyes blue as the sky.
Her warm, bright smile makes me want to try
To give her the world.
And when she's curled
Up in my arms where I can feel her touch,
I realize again that I love her so much.
My world has turned from black to white.
Kissing in starlight, basking in sunlight,
dancing at midnight.


- From John to Belle

Minx

Book Description | Publication Date: July 27, 2004 | USA
It takes a minx to tempt a rogue...Beautiful and feisty Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian′s estate, prefers to wear breeches rather than dresses, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin.

And it takes a rogue to tame her...William Dunford, London′s most elusive bachelor, is stunned to learn that he′s inherited property, a title...and a ward bent on making his first visit his last. Henry is determined to continue running the Cornwall estate without help from the handsome new lord, but Dunford is just as sure he can change things...starting with his wild young ward. But turning Henry into a lady makes her not only the darling of the town, but an irresistible attraction to the man who thought he could never be tempted.



Book Description | Publication Date: 3 July 2008 | UK

Beautiful and feisty Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian's estate, prefers to wear breeches rather than dresses, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin.

William Dunford, London's most elusive bachelor, is stunned to learn that he's inherited property, a title...and a ward bent on making his first visit his last. Henry is determined to continue running the Cornwall estate without help from the handsome new lord, but Dunford is just as sure he can change things... Starting with his wild young ward. But turning Henry into a lady makes her not only the darling of the town, but an irresistible attraction to the man who thought he could never be tempted.


Henrietta Barrett and William Dunford
My Review: ★★★★★

I have always liked Dunford in the previous 2 books but I loved Dunford in this book with Henry!! The sexual tension and hot scenes are priceless! The Book was so funny as well, and boy did Rufus the Rabbit make me laugh! Dunford and Hen's story became one of my favorite love stories of all time, every man should love like Dunford!!

My TOP favorite Julia Quinn book!! Read it 100 of times!
 
Quotes:
  • "My God, Hen, I haven't been able to sleep at night for wanting you. I haven't read a book. I haven't been able to a horse race. I just lie on my bed, staring at the ceiling, trying in vain not to imagine you're with me."
  • "I'd promised you the world, Henry. I'd promised you the opportunity to meet every eligible bachelor in London, and suddenly all I wanted to do was hide you away and keep you for myself. Don't you understand? I wanted to ruin you," he said, his words deliberately blunt. "I wanted to ruin you so that no other man would have you."
  • "You don't always have to kiss a lot of frogs to recognize a prince when you find one."
  • The thought raced through his mind that he was the first man ever to see her like this, and the only man who ever would. He'd never dreamed he could feel this possessive, but the sight, and the feel and the smell, of her untouched body created a firestorm of primitive instinct that made him want to brand her as his. He wanted to won her, to devour her. God help him, he wanted to lock her away where no other man could see her.
  • He let out a hoarse, self-deprecating laugh. "It's just... the things you make me feel..." He lifted her hand and placed it over his racing heart. "It's so strong... it frightens me."
  • That tiny, whimpering sound of desire triggered something deep and desperate within him, and he became a fierce aggressor, branding her body with his own.
  • Her shy, unpracticed words aroused his desire like nothing he could have imagined.
  • "I just want to touch. God, I need to touch you."
  • "Sometimes, Hen," he said, not turning back around to face her, "I think I would give my life just for one of your smiles."
  • He wanted her with an intensity that threatened to engulf him.
  • He let out a ragged laugh. "Oh, I want you, Henry. I have always wanted you. It kills me how much I want you."
  • "But you're mine now," he whispered hotly, his words caressing her neck. "Mine forever."
  • "Henry," he groaned, He loved her. He pushed forward again, losing himself in a primitive rhythm. He loved her. He moved. He loved her. He kissed her brow in a desperate attempt to move ever closer to her soul. He loved her.
  • The sensation of her clenching around him pushed him over the edge. "Oh, my God, Henry!" he shouted, unable to control his thoughts, his actions, or his words. "I love you!"
Where's My Hero?

Book Description | Publication Date: August 26, 2003

Dear Avon Books,
Where are my heroes? Whenever I'm reading a book by one of my favorite authors I find I'm falling for the wrong guy -- not the hero, but the other man -- and what I really want is for him to have his own story.

Like Jake Linley, from Someone to Watch Over Me by Lisa Kleypas…that doctor could sit by my bedside if I ever got sick. And Ned Blydon in Splendid by Julia Quinn...he makes me want to learn to waltz! I never thought living in a drafty castle would be much fun until Simon of Ravenswood in Master of Desire by Kinley MacGregor came along.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that these are my men -- when do they get their stories?
 
Sincerely,
A Romance Fan


Unlike some romance anthologies, this refreshing volume is more a tribute to the authors' fans than a marketing tool. That isn't to say that the book won't be a major money-making machine for Avon-it will-but that the authors have listened to their readers and here revisit their most asked-about supporting characters.

In "Against the Odds," Kleypas focuses on roguish Jake Linley, who first appeared in the Regency-era Someone to Watch Over Me. Both the daring doctor and his math-minded counterpart, Lydia Craven, hold appeal, but their sudden avowal of love two days before Lydia's wedding to another man feels forced and far-fetched.

The affection that springs between spunky Scotswoman Lady Kenna and Simon of Ravenswood, a knight from MacGregor's Master of Desire, in "Midsummer's Knight" rings true despite the author's occasionally overwrought prose.

The best entry in this collection, however, is Quinn's bright and breezy Regency-era romance between dashing Ned Blydon (from Splendid) and down-to-earth Charlotte Thornton, his fiancee's sister. With its airy prose and sparkling wit, Quinn's "A Tale of Two Sisters" is a small gem in an anthology that, while inconsistent in quality and setting, never fails to entertain.


My Review: ★★★★☆
After years of searching for the perfect wife, Ned Blydon found himself falling in love with Charlotte Thornton mere days before his wedding. The only problem was-- he was supposed to marry her sister!

I've always liked Ned and his story was so funny and Charlotte Thornton was a great character to read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment